The Asian Oceanic region represents a large portion of the world population and in 2016 the Asian Oceanic Inherited Neuropathy Consortium (AOINC) was established. Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease is the most common form of inherited neuropathies. Our belief is that bringing together a network of clinicians and scientists will enable collaboration to achieve greater insights into the causes and natural history of inherited neuropathies in the region thereby leading to the discovery of effective therapies and improving patient care.
1. Develop and sustain a network of researchers and clinicians working on inherited neuropathies that will:
• contribute to the worldwide effort to diagnose and treat children and adults with inherited neuropathy
• expand knowledge by promoting communication and collaboration to achieve shared common goals for the inherited neuropathies
• support training and education of members to facilitate research excellence
2. Establish country based Patient Registries to facilitate sharing of clinical information within the region and worldwide for clinical trial readiness
3. Initiate public education and develop patient advocacy groups in the region to increase awareness of inherited neuropathies in the Asian Oceanic region